Drs. Maryam Vareth and Akram Bayat are offering this project (#4) through UC Berkeley's Undergraduate Research Apprentice Program (URAP) for the Fall 2021 academic semester.
Situational awareness for primary care physicians plays an important role in providing proactive care for patients with complex health conditions. Many factors may impede physician’s situational awareness, particularly aggregating scattered data from a patient's electronic medical records. Then, creating a dashboard that can automatically pull high priority information from a patient's medical data and present it in a way to help clinician understand patient overall health status in a shorter time would improve quality of care in primary care offices.
So far, several dashboards have been developed for single specialties but our goal in this project is to address a patient’s overall health status as a whole person instead of addressing each single disease.
This project aims to create a portable, usable, consolidated, and open-source software platform for generating a dashboard to present personalized high priority patient data. The student will gain knowledge of open-source visualization platforms, visualization techniques, user-interface design, EHR data analysis and healthcare data analytics in addition to gaining exposure to product management skills. The student will be expected to present on their work at the end of the semester in addition to the potential to contribute to a manuscript describing the developed dashboard.
The specific selection of tasks will depend on the skill sets and interest of the student and could include the following:
• Building data visualization platforms on the web using D3.js
• Storytelling through Data Visualization: building an open source expressive visual storytelling environment for presenting timelines
• Qualitative analysis of interview data and statistical analysis of survey data
• Evaluation of user experience, cognitive load, and performance of the product for primary care clinicians
• Entrepreneurial tasks including communication with all stakeholders to provide the proper level of cooperation and developing pitches for various audiences and goals
• Presenting work at group meetings
• Formal presentation at the end of the semester to BIDS community
• Contribute to writing a manuscript
• Timeline storyteller: https://timelinestoryteller.com
• Timelines Revisited: A Design Space and Considerations for Expressive Storytelling: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Breh...
• Visualization dashboards for EHR data improve situational awareness, decrease https://www.aiin.healthcare/topics/business-intelligence/visualization-d...
• Interest in data science, clinical data visualization, product management
• Great teamwork (e.g., communication skills, punctuality, organization)
• Proficiency in Python for programming tasks
• (Recommended) Familiarity with data analytics for analysis tasks
• (Recommended) Entrepreneurship experience
Off-Campus Research Site: During the Fall 2021 semester, we will only meet and communicate via Zoom, Slack,and email.